Links: October 7 Press Release
Interscholastic Athletic Plan for October 7 Start Date
MPSSAA COVID-19 Updates Page
MPSSAA Roadmap for the Return of Interscholastic Athletics
BALTIMORE — Maryland State Superintendent of Schools Karen B. Salmon, Ph.D. today announced the ability for each local school system (LSS) to officially start the interscholastic athletic fall season in Maryland secondary schools beginning Wednesday, October 7, 2020.
The decision of the State Superintendent was reached after recent discussions with the State Board of Education, the 24 local school system Superintendents, the Executive Director of the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association (MPSSAA), parents, and other stakeholders. Additional considerations included current health metrics and guidance provided by the Maryland Department of Health (MDH) as Maryland continues to operate in the early portion of Stage Three of its Roadmap to Recovery plan.
Local school systems, at their discretion, may opt into commencing a fall competition season or playing all three sport seasons within the Two-Semester Plan option announced by the MPSSAA on September 11, 2020. By electing to begin fall sports now, LSSs have the ability to start competitions on October 27, 2020, and play into the second week of December. The decision also affords greater opportunities for winter and spring sport competition during the 2020-2021 academic year. Complete information about both options may be found at www.mpssaa.org.
The MPSSAA, on July 7, 2020, released a Roadmap for the Return of Interscholastic Athletics to guide LSSs in the immediate preparation for the anticipated return of interscholastic athletics and extracurricular activities. All LSSs are encouraged, as soon as possible, to begin conditioning sessions in preparation for the first official fall practice sessions.
For more information on safely reopening Maryland schools, visit http://governor.maryland.gov/recovery-schools.
Get the latest reliable information on the coronavirus outbreak from the Maryland Department of Health at https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/
October 7 Option For Fall Sports.
- All school systems shall, as soon as possible, provide conditioning and training opportunities utilizing the current available options provided by the MPSSAA.
- On October 7, 2020, all local school systems may choose to begin formal fall sport season practices in preparation for a competition season which will begin on October 27. All practices and preparation must be in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) required practice regulations, and all face covering and public health protocols established by the state and local health departments.
- The state is expanding the seasonal competition timeframes as previously announced for all winter and spring sports within this plan.
- The October 7 option provides for seven weeks of competition for fall sports—including cross country, field hockey, football, golf, soccer, and volleyball:
- First available practice date: October 7, 2020
- First available competition date: October 27, 2020 (Golf may resume competition on October 7, 2020.)
- Last play date: December 12, 2020
- Culminating event/tournament: December 14-19, 2020
- With the October 7 option, winter sports can begin practice on December 14, and spring sports can begin practice on March 15.
- Local school systems that choose not to exercise the October 7 option for fall sports may utilize the Second Semester Plan option as previously announced.