Information About MPSSAA Officials
1. WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO BECOME AN MPSSAA OFFICIAL?
Officials for MPSSAA-sponsored athletic contests, both regular and postseason, are to be certified and registered with the MPSSAA office. The MPSSAA Coordinator of Officials, Ken Kazmarek, will facilitate this process with all local officials' boards. Registration and certification requirements are as follows:
- Be at least 18 years of age and a high school graduate.
- Be a member in good standing with a local MPSSAA recognized officials' association.
- Complete a MPSSAA-sponsored rules interpretation clinic course for the current year.
- Create an profile (online through the Center of Officials Services / Dragonfly).
- Pass the National Federation written rules examination (75% is passing).
- Pay the MPSSAA registration fee (online through the Center of Officials Services/Dragonfly).
2. HOW DO I CONTACT THE LOCAL OFFICIALS' ASSOCIATION?
The MPSSAA Office maintains a current listing of all of the officiating groups that work for all 24 schools systems for every sport across the state. If you are interested in becoming an official, complete our online interest form with your name and contact information then select the appropriate official association(s) in the drop down menu for the particular sport(s) you are interested in officiating. When finished, click the “Submit” button. When your screen refreshes, the form is replaced on the page by the phrase "Your form was submitted successfully." The MPSSAA Office and/or the sport officials association(s) you select will be in contact with you shortly.
3. WHERE AND WHEN ARE THE RULES INTERPRETATION CLINICS?
The completion of the MPSSAA rules interpretation clinic is an annual certification requirement. All rule clinics are online located on the NFHSlearn network. The link for this site will be shared with the each association to distribute to their officials. For additional questions and/or to verify dates/times/location, contact the Coordinator of Officials Ken Kazmarek (410-767-0375) or the MPSSAA Office (410-767-0555).
4. WHAT IS THE REGISTRATION FEE?
The MPSSAA official's registration fee to officiate one sport is $40. Officials who officiate additional sports will paid $20 per sport. As part of membership, each official will receive a National Federation of State High School Associations rule book in the sport, the State rules interpretation clinic, the National Federation rules examination, and membership in the National Federation Officials' Association.
5. WHERE CAN I GET ADDITIONAL INFORMATION?
For additional information about becoming an official or other related questions, contact the MPSSAA Coordinator of Officials, Ken Kazmarek (410-767-0375).