The 2023 MPSSAA Lacrosse State Championships took place across three days, May 23-25. This year brought a new host site, Mustang Stadium on the campus of Stevenson University.
Classes 1A, 3A, and 4A each had one school, competing in the championships where both the boys’ and girls’ teams made their way to the final. This made it easy for the parties involved to create the championship games schedule, making sure fans from the schools involved could watch both teams on the same day. Of the three schools involved, Fallston (1A), Severna Park (3A), and Broadneck (4A), Severna Park and Broadneck came out victorious in both of their games.
A few things to note from the girls’ tournament:
- Coach Katy Kelley led Broadneck to their third consecutive championship and sixth overall.
- Emma Penczek of Manchester Valley scored a record nine goals against Middletown, tying her for the most goals in a Class 2A championship game, as well as most goals overall in a championship game across all classifications.
- This is the 21st appearance in the state tournament for the Dulaney girls team, tying them with Mount Hebron for most appearances.
And of course a couple notes from the boys’ tournament:
- Severna Park captured their seventh straight state championship, breaking a tie with Hereford, and making them the sole owner of most consecutive state championships. Already number one with most championships all-time, they continue to hold the record at 12.
- Fallston broke the Class 1A record for most goals in a championship game with 19, breaking the record by one, against Perryville.
The sportsmanship awards were voted upon by state committee members, region tournament directors, and other coaches volunteering their time to run the state tournament.
Boys - RON BELINKO Sportsmanship Award: SHERWOOD WARRIORS
Girls - MELBA WILLIAMS Sportsmanship Award: DULANEY LIONS
State Finals Results
Class 1A Boys – Fallston defeated Perryville 19-7
Class 1A Girls – Liberty defeated Fallston 14-10
Class 2A Boys – Kent Island defeated Hereford 9-3
Class 2A Girls – Manchester Valley defeated Middletown 15-7
Class 3A Boys – Severna Park defeated Mount Hebron 9-8
Class 3A Girls – Severna Park defeated Towson 12-8
Class 4A Boys – Broadneck defeated Sherwood 16-6
Class 4A Girls – Broadneck defeated Dulaney 9-8
Please visit Lacrosse State Championship Central for any results prior to the championship games.