Information About MPSSAA Officials
1. WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO BECOME AN MPSSAA OFFICIAL?
Officials for MPSSAA-sponsored athletic contests, both regular and postseason, are to be certified and registered with the MPSSAA office. The MPSSAA Coordinator of Officials, Donnee Gray, will facilitate this process with all local officials' boards. Registration and certification requirements are as follows:
- Be at least 18 years of age and a high school graduate.
- Be a member in good standing with a local MPSSAA recognized officials' association.
- Attend a MPSSAA-sponsored rules interpretation clinic for the current year.
- Pass the National Federation written rules examination (75% is passing).
- Pay the MPSSAA registration fee (through the local officials' association).
2. HOW DO I CONTACT THE LOCAL OFFICIALS' ASSOCIATION?
A listing of the local officials' associations, by sport, is available. Contact the MPSSAA Coordinator of Officials, Donnee Gray, at 410-767-0375 for the name and telephone number of the association(s) in your area.
3. WHERE AND WHEN ARE THE RULES INTERPRETATION CLINICS?
Attendance at a MPSSAA rules interpretation clinic is an annual certification requirement. An assigned interpreter will conduct the clinics for local associations in each sport prior to the start of each season. The date, time, and location of all clinics is disseminated to all currently registered officials, published in the "Scout" online newsletter and posted on this website on the left hand side of this page. For additional questions and/or to verify dates/times/location, contact the Coordinator of Officials, Donnee Gray (410-767-0375) or the MPSSAA office (410-767-0555).
4. WHAT IS THE REGISTRATION FEE?
The MPSSAA official's registration fee is $34 per sport with the exception of Swimming and Track & Field whose registration fee is $27. As part of membership, each official will receive a National Federation of State High School Associations rule book in the sport, the State rules interpretation clinic, the National Federation rules examination, and membership in the National Federation Officials' Association.
5. WHERE CAN I GET ADDITIONAL INFORMATION?
For additional information about becoming an official or other related questions, call the MPSSAA Coordinator of Officials, Donnee Gray, at 410-767-0375.