The Week #4 MPSSAA football point standings for the 2016 regular season have been updated and posted for your viewing pleasure! Select the link below to view the complete standings for each classification and region. For game results and standings all season long make sure you check out County Sports Zone!!
The MPSSAA football points system establishes which teams from each region make the MPSSAA State Tournament. At the end of the regular season, the top four teams in each region according to the MPSSAA football point system will compete in a single elimination tournament, with the region winner advancing to state play.
The Point System for tournament selection is as follows:
1. MPSSAA member schools:
For defeating a Class 4A school = 8.0 points
For defeating a Class 3A school = 7.0 points
For defeating a Class 2A school = 6.0 points
For defeating a Class 1A school = 5.0 points
2. Non-member schools will be placed in the proper classification according to member school enrollments based on the enrollments of grades 9, 10, and 11, comparable to the MPSSAA classifications. An all-boys or all-girls school enrollment will be multiplied by two.
3. Policy concerning unplayed games:
a. Disbandment or failure to start the season on time will result in a non-game and shall automatically reduce the divisor of the disbanded team's opponent by one game.
b. Disbandment after any part of the schedule has been played will be recorded as a win for the disbanded team's opponents.
4. Winning team bonus points will be determined as follows:
a. A team playing a 10-game schedule shall receive 1.00 points for each game won by a defeated opponent who also plays a 10-game schedule.
b. A team playing a 10-game schedule shall receive 1.11 points for each game won by a defeated opponent who plays a 9-game schedule.
c. A team playing a 9-game schedule shall receive .90 of a point for each game won by a defeated opponent who plays a 10-game schedule.
d. A team playing a 9-game schedule shall receive 1.00 points for each game won by a defeated opponent who also plays a 9-game schedule.
e. For each game tied by a defeated opponent, a team shall receive 50 percent of awarded points.
f. For each game tied by a tied opponent, a team shall receive 25 percent of awarded points.
g. For each game won by a tied opponent, a team will receive 50 percent of awarded points.
5. When an MPSSAA member school plays a non-member opponent who will not play the tiebreaker, the MPSSAA school shall receive points as follows:
a. 4A—4.0 points, 3A—3.5 points; 2A—3.0 points; 1A—2.5 points.
6. MPSSAA member schools whose opponents play more than a 10-game schedule will:
a. determine points from results of first 10 games if member school appears on the opponent's schedule from the first to and including the 10th game.
b. determine points by counting back 10 games from and including the game in which member school appears on opponent's schedule.
7. The total accumulated points will be divided by 9 or 10, depending on the number of games played. Ten is the maximum divisor and nine is the minimum divisor to qualify for state participation. A team must count all regular season games when using the point system determine representation.
8. When a MPSSAA team plays the same opponent twice during the regular season, only the first game should count to determine team record and points. No points (bonus or win points) for any teams will be awarded based on the second game.
For more information on the point system and the State Tournament, check out the 2016 Football Bulletin.